Thursday, July 03, 2008

Day Two Geneva on the Lake July 2nd

Geneva on the Lake - Lake Erie and close to Geneva, Ohio. Yea, I had to look at a map to figure out where I was around the lake but still on the south east side of Lake Erie, east of Cleveland and west of New Hampshire, not Canada yet…more on that later.

First of all, I have to thank James for putting me up for the night and his hospitality. For taking in a total stranger, making dinner and feeding me a few beers as well as taking care of me at the shop really made for a great first day on the road. Thanks James and if you’re ever up in the cities, look me up because I have a place for you to crash and this time, I’ll do the cooking.

Remember, I told you about my front brakes going out on the way back to James, well I figured I better follow him into work this morning to get it checked out. I actually had to set an alarm to get up early since he’s 25 miles from the shop and we had to hit the road between 7:00 and 7:30 and you know me, I need my morning shower in the morning to wake up as well as a little packing of the bike. Well, James put Aaron, remember the top mechanic and only the best for my bike, back on the job and Aaron found something that he’s never seen before. Apparently one of the brake pads broke loose and fell off what is all part of the brake pad itself. The only thing left was the metal piece that the pad is glued to or however they attach the thing, so when I thought something was wrong with my front brakes, I wasn’t kidding.

The other thing about getting an early start and following James into Kutter’s Harley was I got to meet Lucy, the marketing manager. She took me to the back room, her office to have a little talk with me. I know what you might’ve been thinking, but honestly, we had a great talk. She listened to my stories, which some of you know once you get me telling stories, it’s hard to get me to stop and I might’ve even helped with her out a little. If anything, the one thing that Kutter’s in Janesville can claim, is how well they’ll take care of someone traveling through and I’m proof of that. Oh, and before I left she gave me a shirt which I had to find something that fits the trip, it is; “It’s not the destination, but the journey” how fitting.

Thank you all for taking such good care of me and I owe you, other than the bill that I’ve already paid.

Ok, so now for Geneva on the Lake. Well, for starters I felt much safer on my bike now that Aaron and James have checked it out and taken care of all the problems with it, so I hit the freeway and set the cruise. No, didn’t set it for 90, cuz if you remember it doesn’t go that high, but 80 felt pretty comfortable today, even through all of the construction around Chicago. Almost as much fun as the white lining in California, but when you have to slow down because of the cameras catching speeders, it’s a little harder to get away with. You got it; they got my picture so now I just hope I won’t see any kind of ticket or bill in the mail. I tried hiding behind the other vehicles, but we’ll have to see.

Since there wasn’t much between Janesville and here, it was freeway most of the way, or should I say toll way because it cost me to travel the higher speeds and it reminded me of my last trip when someone told me to avoid 80 since it’s the truckers freeway, well they’re right, but instead of the trucks blowing me around I passed as many of them as I could so, who was in charge? Ok, your right, the truck would win all the time against me on a bike, but I bet I’d leave a hell of a dent.

So, I crossed 4 states today and Pennsylvania wasn’t one of them. I missed my turn in Toledo that before I knew it I was in Michigan and for those that know the law, riding illegally. Not only was I over the speed limit, but Michigan has that helmet law that I had to hightail it outta there before getting caught. Once I did find my way, it was back to the scenic route around Lake Erie, that you can see not only did I dip my boot in the lake, but I got a little radiation along the way, those atomic power plants. There were a few turns that I probably shouldn’t have taken, but I did get to see Cleveland and the Rock and roll hall of fame again as well as some tits. Yep, tits along the highway that the only thing I didn’t see was a pair, it was actually a pair of barns that I found instead.

Now for Geneva on the Lake. I asked a guy sitting on the park bench in town; no he didn’t look homeless, where a decent place to stay and find some food and drink were so he sent me to the lake. On my way I saw a sign for a biker friendly place next to a hotel so figured I might as well check it out. Well, that happens to be the Pavilion, where I’m at right now, owned by Butch, a great guy, but the hotel as well as this bar are, well, let’s just say under par and not in a good way. He also suggested a place up the street to eat, Mar-Gs, again under par and not in a good way. Oh well, tired ready to quite riders like me can only do one thing about that, get drunk enough that I won’t notice.

That might just mean an early start in the morning, just to get out of this place.

Day Two Pix

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home