Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Halifax, NS July 8th

Halifax, Nova Scotia at ‘The Old Triangle’ pub enjoying a little jam session while having some pints and grub. Richard, one of the guys who helped suggest the Old Triangle telling me how much fun New Foundland is going to be while Brent is making sure my pints don’t run dry. Don’t worry, I’m walking so can let loose and have a few.

What a beautiful province, Nova Scotia and with that the hot Canadian chicks, remember? I do. Anyway, my start from Bar Harbor started out foggy, but I was glad I stayed as close to the Cat terminal as I did. A nice short ride and I got to meet most of the other bikers in line waiting to get on and work on strapping down the bikes. We weren’t the first on, but since I was at the back of the line I did ask the crew member if that meant I’d be first off, you know me, leader of the pack so when I hit that island, I don’t want anyone in front of me. Well, no guarantees, but at that point I wasn’t worried about it cuz the first thing I had to worry about was strapping down the bike. I like the way they have is strap them down, one strap from hook to hook on the deck over the seat. I really wished they would have suggested that a few years ago when strapping down bikes on the Seattle ferries, the Alaskan ferry and the Wasaga Beach ferry, but now that I know how to do it, it’ll be much easier from this point on.

Yes, it’s true, I have left the country and although I did get some pictures of pulling away from the US docks, the rest of the trip was foggy so there wasn’t much to see. Not a problem though cuz this being over a 2 hour cruise, they have a number of different movies that we can watch so I picked the deck which had 21 on screen. This is an impressive ship and being able to reach speeds over 50mph, we were moving over the water, definitely not for those with motion sickness cuz you can really feel this thing moving.

Well, a comfortable 2 and ½ hours later we arrive at Yarsmouth, Nova Scotia and then is when I find out, I lost another hour. You got it, this place is an hour earlier than eastern time and when I hit New Foundland I’ll really have to remember my math because their even another half hour earlier; yep, not an easy hour, but a half. Anyway, it was a good time to get some food in me before making the trek to Halifax cuz I thought it wouldn’t be too far a ride. Oh, and it already started as soon as we were going thru customs, those hot Canadian women I mentioned, and I really should’ve gotten a picture of the one in the other lane that the guys from Vancouver Island were in, but I did tell them they should definitely talk a little smack…one of those blonde Canadians with her handy security belt and I could swear I saw two pair of handcuffs.

Ok, back to the story and a little lunch was had just up the road where Michelle took very good care of me while Bud, the guy sitting at the bar on my way in, told me what route I should take to the ferry to New Foundland. The same that George III told me, but Bud did suggest a few places along the way that I should checkout. It was a great ride and one of those where you go from needing a jacket to it being so cold, especially when you’re next to the water that either I could’ve made a lot of stops with the leathers on and off or just bear it and hope I can make it without….and I did, without.
Around these parts they have something called the ‘Lighthouse route’ which is much like the river road or coastal highways, the scenic routes which take that much longer. Well, when I got to Liverpool I took the Lighthouse route to the LaHave ferry, the oldest running cable ferry which took me to Lunenberg and it was a great ride. You might be able to tell from some of the pictures how you get to see the ocean and believe me when I say it’s easily 20 degrees cooler if not more than what it was inland, it’s not a lie. Oh and when they said they said they reached their first high of 31 in downtown Halifax, I remember waiting until it reached at least 32 in Tomahawk before we went riding for the day.

Well, when I did get to the cable ferry, Kevin, sorry no picture, suggested what route I should take to Halifax if I wanted to make it today instead of the 5 hour Lighthouse route it otherwise would take, so I hit 103. I made it in pretty good time even having to worry about gas after stopping at a station that didn’t have premium only to find out it was another 20 to the next gas station, but given it 20 km instead of miles, I should be able to make that. And by the way, I don’t think my bike is getting as good of gas mileage now that I can only put 5 liters of gas in the tank instead of 5 gallons…think about it.

Halifax was finally in sight and I don’t know how long it was that I kept following the “?” sign just to find the visitors center that before I found it, I stopped one of those Canadian women, remember, hottie, to ask where the visitor center was or a hostel and wouldn’t you know it, she knew where both were. And believe it; I met two Sandra’s today. The first the one I asked where the visitor center was and the second with Catherine who set me up in the YMCA hostel. Catherine did tell me about another one up the road which was cheaper, but when I checked it out, not only was it a sauna in the place, but not the greatest place to park a bike for the night that I made my way back to the Y. John was helping me park the bike and unpack it that wouldn’t you know it, Sandra, the direction hottie is walking by asking me if I was setup for the night. Yes, I am, but like I told her from our first encounter, it would’ve been much easier being offered a place to stay instead of finding my own, but oh well, at least I tried and this time I did get her picture.

Ok, that’s what got me here, ‘The Old Triangle’ pub, and now that the waitress is smarting off to me, yep, one of those hot Canadian’s…enough story telling for the night that we’ll see what kind of story I can come up with tomorrow.

Nova Scotia pix

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, Looks like are having a great time. Good for you!

Wow, that Matthews house you stayed at looks awesome with some great views.

Looking forward to the stories from the Triangle!

7/09/2008 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home