Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fredericton, NB, July 16th

WOOHOO!!!! North America is done. As soon as I got off the ferry on the island of PEI, you know, Prince Edward Island I had a smile a mile long and thanks to some of the other bikers I met on the ferry, they caught the moment. Yep, I was whooping it up and people were even honking as they were going by, I guess maybe I told a few what I was about to accomplish today and what a day it has been. And I don’t want to hear ‘None of it’ for not doing Nunuvut, cuz if there were roads; I’d be on my way. Right now I’m having a wonderful conversation with April-Dawn so might be a little behind in getting this blog out since bar time is just around the corner and I’m spending more time talking than writing, but in due time.

Ok, when I was leaving the hostel I had to give all the ladies a hug ‘goodbye’ and ‘good luck’. Like I told them since I slept with them last night that we’re passed the handshake so hug would be appropriate. Not the kind of sleeping with some of you might be thinking and not even in the same room, but whatever it takes to get a hug, right? It was a perfect day for a bike ride, comfortable temps and not too humid and a good thing I waited a day since it rained yesterday. Of course I had to make a stop at the Cape Breton Island visitors center to see Leanne and tell her about my travels and ask why she didn’t call, but she must’ve known that I’d be coming thru today cuz she wasn’t in. Well, I did get Kathy to help me out cuz I need to get to PEI to finish this little journey I’ve been on since 2006.

Well, because of the time there’s no way I’m gonna make the 11:15 ferry, an hour and a half drive in 45 minutes? Even with the way I drive I don’t think so and I’ve been lucky not to have been pulled over yet cuz I’d probably get nailed like Trevor did in Labrador. I probably forgot to tell that story since I was talking about pushing my bike onto the ferry and off, but Trevor got a ticket for 142 kph in an 80 zone and I’m sure if I was doing 70 through there, I could’ve gotten nailed. Next ferry at 1:00 and that’ll be easy to make even if I did have to stop for directions, or at least look at the map since I thought the ferry crossing sooner than the drive I did have and that hour and a half, even at my speed was pretty close, but that was because of the construction backup that had us waiting for about 20 minutes.

Finally made it to the ferry and although someone had said it was a cheap ferry to PEI, I must’ve hit it just right cuz it was free today. Not sure there’s a charge, but maybe it was my charm…right. Anyway three other bikers all from Cleveland and like I told them how I was with names and had to ask Corey what his name was 3 times, he’d probably be the only one that I’d remember, but I did get the names on the pix soon enough that there was also Steve and Elliott. They’re doing a 10 day loop from through Nova Scotia which definitely include the Cabot trail, a must ride for anyone who makes a trip to Nova Scotia on a bike, or even car for that matter, but still not the same. They’ve done a lot of traveling over the years and I was able to share with them what I was about to do and already I am pumped up and can’t wait, but priorities first. I thought about I on my ride here that I really need to put that shirt on I got from Kutter Harley which says “It’s not the Destination – It is the Journey” because I think that would be fitting for the picture when I get off the boat and again, thank you Lucy for setting me up with this shirt and of course James and Aaron for getting me on the road to be able to accomplish what I might be able to accomplish.

So I’ve already mentioned it and you can see from the pictures that I was whooping it up and I finally did it, ALL of North America. Still more to do since this is only one continent that I still have another 6 to do before I can say I’m done, traveling the world that is. And if there’s a question with how many continents there really are, after checking out the internet there are different teachings from 5 to 6 to 7 and since I want to hit it all, I’ll think big.

I didn’t have plans to do too much of PEI and it’s a bigger island than some may think and a beautiful one at that. The plan, if there is ever a plan, was to ride to the capital city of Charlottetown and check out Peaks point which the lady on the boat suggested seeing and I was going to call it quits until I ran into the crew downtown and they suggested a video they were showing in one of historical buildings. Apparently, Charlottetown considers itself the starting point of the Canadian government, but after watching the show and where the declarations were eventually signed and everything, it is the birthplace of the concept of a free democratic government of Canada, and I do believe it was in the 1800’s that maybe they learned a thing or two for the USA….and that is my history lesson for the day.

Off to the bridge, the Confederation toll bridge and it’s quite impressive. Only the PEI side charges the toll, which I heard someone talking about, but they’re probably the ones to suggest putting it in and it’s a long one. I guess I should’ve measured miles according to my odometer, but it’s 12.9 kilometers that according to my calculation, that’d be 8 miles and I was in a different place at the time, just taking in the sites and making sure not to go over the side. Once on the other side I tried making that call that didn’t work on PEI, calling my parents to let them know what I just accomplished and for AT&T claiming to be international, it’s really surprising it doesn’t work every where in Canada, that’ll be another story when I take that up with them on my return home. Anyway, I think since leaving the country my mothers forgot about me because every time I’ve called her from Canada, she’s always asking, ‘who is this’. So easily to be forgotten when you leave the country I guess.

Ok, the other big accomplishment for the day, my bike turned 5 today. 5’s across the odometer with one digit left to be filled, so I’m now at 55,555 miles to do all of North America. Sure it’s with a few missed turns and having to go back in some places, but I’m not counting miles when it comes to doing the continent, I’m counting the states, provinces, territories and the great people I’ve met along the way.

Now, back to the story and a little morbid thought went through my head while driving thru New Brunswick seeing all the moose signs, what if I get to hit one of those and can’t finish the story. Ok, in the moment, but at least sharing the thought and thank God, the story is now complete, at least this story.
A huge thanks to Kat for securing a hostel for me for the night, she’s awesome and like I told her yesterday, if I were 20 years younger, or at least 10, maybe I’d have a chance. Anyway, after checking with the visitors center a drive to the other 2 hostels that Kat suggested were too far a drive for as late as it was that if I can at least make it to Fredericton, that’d get me close to my destination for tomorrow. So, the hostel is nothing to write home about and Kat warned me of that, but at least it’s a bed and shower that according to the manager on duty, not a lot to do in this town, but the Lunar Rogue Pub might be ok. On my way I happened to see Jessica and April-Dawn leaving that I asked if this was the happening place and told them they should really come and help me celebrate my accomplishment, which is what puts me hear talking with April-Dawn and the bar ready to close. And one thing I learned tonight and why they both may have red-eyes in the picture, the red-eye reduction doesn’t work on blue eyes, which I really question cuz I’ve seen those brown eyes red. Any way, more to the story, but that’s for tomorrow’s story since today’s was done at midnight.

PEI pix

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good site, nice pics - congrats again on all of North America, glad I could be there for the last province - PEI. Safe travels. You going to attempt South America next?

Cory from Cleveland.

7/20/2008 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home