Friday, July 06, 2012

Ottawa Ontario 2012


Ottawa Canada Ay on my way back home from a great week in New Hampshire and right now sitting at the Keg, my normal stop on the way through, more on that later. I had a great week in New Hampshire and was able to relax every day with little to actually no riding and it was always noon somewhere that the beer drinking normally started early. We had a great time playing games, a new one this year that was home made, but with all the drinking I was talking about, there were some pretty late night festivities. The best of those on the night Eric turned 40 once we reach midnight, the guys decided to play frisbee golf. Kind of tough seeing what you are throwing at, but we had the frisbees all figured out with glow sticks tape to the frisbee, which believe it or not work quite well. After that, and yes well after midnight it was time to setup some lights to be able to play a late night of the new game. You can’t stop partying when someone turns 40 and I do think he may have felt his age a little the next day.
This year I was fortunate to be there when the family party was on which was Wednesday when all of the uncles, aunts, cousins and friends show up for some fun. Ok, maybe their not my uncles, aunts or cousins, but they sure make me feel like part of the family since they remember me every year. I do have to say, before I get too far into family day how great it was when I drove up the driveway Monday when I arrived. I really wish my camera was working so I could’ve gotten the picture, but everyone ran to the driveway to wave me in and as Adam told me later, he heard kids who hadn’t met me yet yelling that Dale’s here on his motorcycle. I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome than that and therefore with that, feel very lucky feeling like part of the fmaily every time I come out. 
So for family day, the big thing other than all the food that was around was the homemade water slide down the hill. I large plastic sheet that took quite a few people engineering to get it to work just right. It was great fun for all of those who attempted to go down, but me, I hung low and used my excuse this year which kept me out of a number of events that I had a bad knee. I really do and there were some events, such as football that I probably would’ve just made it worse which is how I hurt it in the first place last year thinking I could play with the 30-somethings on Thanksgiving day. I do know the day was a success with about 60 people total there and plenty of stories to be told. I wish I could share all of them with you, but I don’t think I have enough time or could do each justice. 
Part of my relaxation as I had said was no riding, but that’s because after having a number of drinks that always seemed to start earlier every day, Thursday was my day of no drinking since I knew I was going for a bike ride later...the ride, out for that awesome Maine lobster which I have to have while I’m out here. Sure I could be having that tonight with everyone else, but then I definitely have to take Monday off from work because I’d have a very tough time trying to drive back in 2 days. Besides that I don’t think it’d be very safe riding a bike into the late nights with deer or even moose as they have in New Hampshire roaming the mountains. I can say, a pound and a quarter of steamers with corn on the cob and 2 pound and a half lobsters, yes 2 for under 30 bucks is a great deal...and yes, the lobster was awesome. 
There are just too many more stories that could be told for the week that I’m starting to get hungry so should probably order my prime rib before it’s to late that how about the tails of today’s ride. Well, I did get up earlier than any of the other mornings this week and I don’t know if it had to do with an earlier than normal night the night before. Some of the party animals, I mean friends ended up leaving Thursday which is a whole other story that I shouldn’t get into because I don’t want to offend anyone, but the older crowd, and no that didn’t include Eric who just turned 40 were in bed early Thursday night that the rest of us party animals, or friends just didn’t have the same giddy-up that we use to that Tracy, Christy and Niki gave up on the puzzle, which they do a puzzle a day and there were only 3 of us still up till about 2:30 was all. I guess I might still be on Central time that it didn’t seem that bad. Well, with an early night there were more up earlier and yes, that was all the older people and to help clarify, almost everyone over 50 since I was one of the few elderly’s partying like an animal.
Ok, back to the early start that my usual stop is Dunkin Donuts on my way North that I had a family member, ok, not my family but since they make me feel like a family member. Emily was working the drive-thru that I had to stop for a donut and somethign to drink. The only problem was I couldn’t get a Mt Dew that I so desperately need in the morning which is a whole other story about the week that I won’t even start to get into, that all it was for this stop was a donut and Gatorade to help get back some of what my body lost with all the drinking this week...did I say how relaxing and fun the week was? Well from there it was time to head West on the Kankamangus trail that once I took the lead which meant getting a little aggressive at times I would likely make good time to here....remember Ottawa. With my handy phone map I haven’t had to pull out my HOG atlas because I can zoom in on any area I want and figure out a better route that I could probably get from the paper map. It was a pretty comfortable ride except for the heat and unlike other trips, now that I’ve done it a number of times, I took my time and even stopped for a burger. There was a little ice cream and burger stand that I thought they’d probably have pretty good burgers pretty quick and I guess I might’ve been wrong on both counts. The burger did take longer than I expected, but when you get all of these overweight people stopping by for ice cream well, you better feed them before getting me my burger. The burger wasn’t half bad and would fill the void before my prime rib which should be coming soon.
From there it was my usual ride around the lakes of New York and my only problem along the way was whether I was going to get into Canada or not. Apparently the border patrol chick didn’t like my answer of the last time I’ve been in front of a judge being within the last 5 years that I wasn’t quick enough what the last time was really for. I said I thought it might’ve been a driving offense that she sent me to the second check area where I had more questions to ask. Ok, I know they are pretty strict on those with a DUI that like I told the guy, yes I did have one, but it was over some 30 years ago that I haven’t had one since, knowing they won’t let anyone in with one. I also told him that the last time I was in front of a judge was for a small claims court where I sued the guy the pulled in front of me causing me to total my awesome car, the 4 wheel steer Prelude and yes, I still miss that car. He did ask if I’ve ever been denied entry into Canada and I told him no, that he had to go and do a little checking on me to see whether he should let me in or not. The one thing it did for me since I was getting a little tired on my ride that I got to get a little shuteye while he checked on my status. The good thing is he came back, handed me my passport and wished me safe travels which is all I wanted to here. From there it was a quick trip to Ottawa and this year I’m sharing a 4 bed room with 3 other guys which maybe I should’ve thought twice about because I did have a pick of a coed room with 7 other people. I’ll have to find out in the morning, but that might’ve been the room to be in tonight. Anyway, this 4 bed room is suppose to have air conditioning, but for as hot as it is and me climbing 9 flights of stairs, yes the 9th floor I was plenty hot and need to cool off somehow. The only way I could figure was a cool shower which made a difference for awhile and finally I can report that I am cool and comfortable and tonight, without Shannon here, under the care and service of Emily, who was here last year and the newbie, Mary who’s taking Shannon’s place this year. Ok, time to sign off and tonight it’s not from the alcohol, but the food which should be here shortly. Happy reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home