Friday, July 06, 2012

Tamworth NH 2012


I’m home, at least for the week. I made it to Tamworth without incident and just in time since the rain and what appears to be a thunderstorm coming in over the mountains while the kids are putting on a show in the other room. It’s a houseful this week and plans on getting busier, more on that later. As for the ride today it started hot like all of the other days I’ve traveled, but today I thought I’d start with a little bike repair. I headed to the local Harley shop just after opening and you wouldn’t believe who I saw there, yep the  bikers from the bar last night. Ok, it’s not like me for not getting pictures and names but I guess I haven’t been doing as much of that as I did while I was traveling the country before. I probably should since I always meet some great people along the way, but not everyone is happy about having their picture taken.
Anyway, those bikers from Syracuse Indiana got their Tshirts and were heading to the Andirondacs for the day that me, I better head east since according to this map on my phone which won’t let me get lost was telling me I had over 7 hours ahead of me. Well, that won’t be a problem since I rarely do the speed limit, but I do plan on taking the back roads once off the speedway so I better book. First back to the bike repair which was a running light and blinker for the front which also needed a cover. I must’ve had the cover pop off when I hit those tracks the other day, Saturday in Toledo, I mean Oregon. Can you believe it, it didn’t cost me the normal Hundred Dollars (HD), but came in less than $10 that I couldn’t use a credit card. I did ask service if they just had a cover laying around, but no luck cuz once they crack they toss them whereas me, I think I still have a couple at home that I could still make work. Once that was out of the way it was to the local Walgreens or in this state the Rite Aid for what you’ll never guess, some Carmex and only sugar mama from a few years ago would know what I’m talking about. Apparently I can’t even spell it correctly.
Ok, now I can hit the road which will mean NYs speedway East on the 90 Thruway. I do think they should rename it, but it was plenty fast today and again, hot. I did depend on my phone a few times to get me to where I wanted to turn, but still had to find the back roads myself. I can say it is easier reading a map on the phone than the printed version though since I can blow it up as large as I need it to see it so it works for a reason. Once off the thruway, I means speedway it was time to take my time East through Vermont into New Hampshire and I can say the mountains do get pretty chilly on what started out to be a hot summer day. There were a few times I thought about pulling over to put a jacket on, but just about that time I’d be heading downhill into the heat again that I would’ve been back and forth which isn’t the way I ride. I normally like riding and not stopping if I don’t have to, especially through the mountains when I get to lead the pack. As in years past, I’ll hit it to pass the slower vehicles cuz there’s no reason for a bike to go slow around some of these mountain corners. 
It turned out to be a great ride through the mountains of NY, VT and NH with a few sprinkles which like Alaska, you never know what the weather will be like in the mountains because it can change in no time at all. Now to Tamworth and my usual stop before heading to the cabin, I mean mountain home which I have the pictures to prove. It’s the local bbq pit and since I had bbq last night I figured chicken would be good tonight which it was. I could’ve skipped that stop since they had a huge Mexican dinner planned here, but I never know what to expect that stopping and eating before I start another night of drinking is always a good idea. As I was pulling in everyone ran to the road to wave me in and apparently even some of the kids who were’t sure who I was knew that it was Dale showing up on his bike. Ok, for the festivities this week, it sounds like the big family party which I unfortunately missed last year since I had to leave by Friday will be Wednesday which, remember what I was saying before, is going to be a house full. At least for the night I might get the basement to myself and if you haven’t read my other visits to Tamworh, remember I’m always sent to the cellar. More fun to come on my way home, now it’s time to relax...and drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home