Saturday, July 09, 2011

Mackinaw City Michigan 2011


Once again, at O’Reilly’s and there’s not much going on around these parts this weekend. If you read my story about my last visit there was so much going on that weekend that there was no way of getting a hotel room that I had to pitch a tent, tonight is another story. The motel I stayed at a few years ago and was full last year, again because of the busy weekend only had 2 other rooms taken with the same kind as me...bikers, and no not wanna be. Tonights action will have to be written about later if there is any action and for as long as my story while in Ottawa was maybe not much more to talk about except for the action that happened downtown Ottawa last night, which I guess I did still write about, didn’t I?


Well, last night was a late night once again and I love the city of Ottawa, the people are so friendly, the Canadian women beautiful, willing and able and what more could I possibly say. I spent most of the night at Pier 21 since Morgan was keeping me such good company and Borechuck was right, the place got busy with a bunch of people form the Blue’s fest which ended at 11:00. The band was ok, but I did decide I better checkout the Irish pub I was at last year, remember, the Dubliner downtown in the Market place where all the action is going on. I did get to meet many more Canadians and like I’ve said, they’re all very friendly and remember the women beautiful, willing and able. I ended up with a group of Blue’s fest goers who were well on the way to drink as much as they could, but when their half my age, they think they can hold their own, but without the experience. Well, since they wanted to get drunk and fast, that meant shots and as long as they were buying, I guess I’d be drinking. Sorry I didn’t get all of their names, but someone for me to party with before having to head back to the hostel for a well deserved night of sleep and for me, a few drinks will really help me sleep.


There were only 4 of us in the 6 bed jail cell so I didn’t have to worry about keeping too many awake with my snoring but according to Victor, remember the 63 year old Australian riding bike along the Trans Canada, I guess that wasn’t a problem with me last night, the snoring that is. Maybe that’s the ticket, more hard liquor than beer will do it and keep me from getting too stuff up which also brings on the snoring. Anyway, who really cares except for those sharing a room. For some reason even after a late night I did wake up early, about 6:30, but decided I could still sleep in so definitely did and was on par with my start for the morning, a 9:04 departure. I did get scolded by the guy at the front desk for walking around the hostel without a shirt on, but when I pack my bike in the morning on a hot day, I usually only wear my shorts since I’ll be working up a sweat just getting the bike packed. I think if it would’ve been one of the ladies behind the desk, it may have been another story, I don’t think I’m that outta shape. I did catch Victor on my way out even though I never did get to meet the other 2 guys in the room, but they left plenty early that it didn’t make any difference as long as I wasn’t missing anything.


Ok, as for the bike ride, this Trans Canadian hwy sucks especially outside Ottawa and before Echo bay which is just before Sault Sainte Marie. It’s a 2 lane highway and with stop lights that there are some stretches that the traffic seems to run pretty slow and remember how those in Vermont drive below the posted speed, well today there were plenty of Canadians doing the same. The only good thing they have which allowed me to get in front of others were passing lane sections along the way and even on a two lane highway with the oncoming traffic, it definitely makes a difference being on a bike that you can hit it and get around a few before the cars coming the other way hit you, and as long as I’m writing this, you can tell I didn’t get hit, thank God.


So for what did happen along the ride, not much to talk about except for 2 stops at 2 different McDonald’s for a quick burger and especially their fries where I ended up walking out of both of them without ordering. When I have to wait for over 5 minutes just to place an order and in a hurry like I was, I’m not going to sit around and way. The worst was the one in North Bay because I’ll swear, they had more kids working behind the counter in the kitchen than they did people standing in line or those at the drivethru window, that when I’m waiting as long as I did, I’m out of there. I did finally stop at a Wendy’s on a gas stop and their fries just don’t do if for me. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, but when I did make it to Sault Sainte Marie I decided to pull up next to a biker in front of me and ask him if there was a toll for getting over the bridge and whether they took Canadian money because I had some to get ride of, change from last night that although paying in American only get Canadian back, but so far everyone is on par.


Well, the guy I met was Bob a retiree from Michigan who spends his summers in his Michigan home and winters as a snow bird in Florida, not a bad gig when you get to ride bike year around and he had a pretty nice bike, which the thing I noticed and had to ask about were the red rims he had. Him and I spent quite a bit of time talking while in line to get through security back into the states and I can say I made it without incident. They did ask if I had anything to claim, but nothing that I carried with me except maybe some of the prime rib from last night, if you know what I mean.


So, in the end I did make good time to Mackinaw city, got a room at the cheap motel I’ve visited before and now it’s time for a few drinks and something to eat. Today was a brutal day on the bike, about a 10 hour trip just to get hear which is pretty much like a trip to Sturgis, but without the extreme heat and cross winds that South Dakota have to offer. This Canadian trip was cool enough for a jacket the entire ride, except for the stops. More to come, if I have anything to write about tonight or the ride home tomorrow. Have bike will travel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home