Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Day 14 Ensenada to La Bufadora BC

Another new week of Spanish classes and this one might be a long one since I’m the only one in school this week. I’ve already hit the teacher up on whether we can cut the days shorter then the scheduled 6 hours, but I don’t think I convinced her. At least with only be in class we can take our time and it’s all about me and figuring some of the things I still need to get figured out like reading a burner phone that is in Spanish, more about that later.

So as I hinted to with my last blog I might be getting the bike out for some riding Sunday which is just what I did. I talked to Señor Roberta to make sure we could get my bike out after breakfast so I could meet up with my new friend Rolando for a day of riding and sure enough, right after breakfast it was all about me and getting my bike out of storage. I had forgotten how dirty is was and if it weren’t for the difficulty of putting it away and getting it out since Roberto has to move 4 vehicles and unlock the gates, I’d take it to the car wash next to the Spanish school to get it washed, but it’ll just have to do for now. Maybe when I get to Cabo I can see about a good wash at the Harley shop. 

Ok, if you remember be talking about he step my bike had to get over to get past the second gate I was already trying to figure out just how to get it out without scraping the bottom again, but to my surprise and pleasure, Roberto had already build another ramp just for my bike and it wasn’t any make shift ramp either. He mixed and poured a cement ramp which he had said he’d been wanting to get around to doing for awhile since they have to bring their propane for cooking in that way. I guess me showing up on the bike got him getting something done sooner rather than later and it made it much easier getting the bike out. 

Sunday was all about the ride and meeting up with Rolando and even though we had problems with my phone call to him from the local street pay phone, he showed up after all. Yeah, I probably didn’t get into that, but Saturday I went to the same phone I had used by the 7 11 to call my host family and I couldn’t get the thing to work. I kept getting a message in Spanish and they don’t talk slow on the phone as well as using words I still don’t know that I had no idea what was going on. Fortunately the cafe next door was able to find someone who spoke English to help me out so I had the nina help me with how to work the phone. My first problem even though the phone said 3 pesos for a call to a cell phone apparently it was 4 so I eventually put in the money dialed the phone and had her listen to the message. Well, that meant problem 2, when you dial a cell phone in these parts you have to put in the zone that the phone is in so according to the nina Ensenada’s code is 044 that I have to dial that first and eventually I was able to get thru to Rolando. I tell you, that’s just to make what should be a simple call, but it’s not that easy around here. 

Well, problem 3 was before I noticed I was cut off for not depositing some more money. Yes, these calls aren’t covered by 3 pesos that it only gets me about a minute on the phone that before me and Rolando were able to make plans on where to meet and what time I had to make another call, which I did. Now for problem 4, no more change in pesos that I’ll have to make this call quick that I asked Rolando what time which we set for 10:00 and the gas station next to his wife’s business and before it was set in stone, sure enough cut off again that this time I’m hoping he’s thinking the way I am and will just make sure to be there Sunday morning. Yeah I could’ve called him back, but I figure he’s good for his word and you know I will be so my plan is set.

I did get to the gas station fairly early since it was a quick out of the bike with the new ramp so was able to learn the Pemex gas station situation which should be pretty easy going forward. The gas stations are all the same and full service stations that only the attendant is pumping and I guess the other thing would be you can only get gas when they have attendants which yes, they had by this time. I was a bit early, but waited and was sure relieved when I saw a Harley come around the corner, a little surprised it was 2 up, but Rolando brought this son Santiago along for the ride. My first thought was he may have thought about bringing him along since he didn’t know me from Adam so had to make sure they could both keep me in line, but I’m sure that thought hadn’t even crossed his mind and it was great to have another along for the ride.

We were off and as I told Rolando one of the rides I wanted to do was get to La Bufadora to see the waves crashing into the rocks which is where we would make our first stop. Now according to the house mate Christina from week one of Spanish school the road to La Bufadora wasn’t for the faint of heart that I found it in great shape and quite exhilarating on the bike. I could tell on our way just through town that I would enjoy following Rolando for the day because I found out pretty quick that he’s as and aggressive if not more so a rider than I am and me being in unfamiliar surroundings wouldn’t have made it as quick as see did. I learned pretty quick what to watch out for which I never would have thought of riding on my own, but there are speed bumps on these roads and I even found out eventually on Hwy 1 which I need to take to Cabo. It was a goof thing I was following someone who knew all about them and showed me the signs to watch for. The last thing I need is to hit one of these and flying off the bike. 

La Bufadora was definitely the tourist attraction and an exciting ride to get there that instead of riding the bikes through we got a parking spot which you got it, costs money. You can see the guy who parked ups, but they were all over trying to get people to pull into their parking spots to make a little money. The place was all about the merchants and them working it hard to sell us something. For those that have been to any of Mexico for vacation you know what I’m talking about, but it wasn’t too bad. We did get some great pictures and although Rolando had only been here once before and it was Santiago’s first time, Rolando suggested some clams at local shops which is just what we had. Not just one order but 2 with shrimp tacos to boot and again, sure I’m taking Spanish, but it sure helps having someone along who knows it a hell of a lot better to help order and keep the waiter/waitresses in order and thanks to Rolando for picking up the tab, that I’ll owe him on. 

From La Bufadora it was back to Hwy 1 to ride some of it south to give me an idea of what I’ll have a head of me next week when I head to Cabo and again, it was great riding with someone as aggressive as Rolando was on the road. We were passing semis, cars, trucks campers and many of them on the curvy hilly roads even if there is not a sign to pass and the solid yellow line down the middle of the road. Oh and I had my first experience of the turn signal game that I have to watch for and not always fall for, that is someone putting on their left turn signal to let you pass. I guess it must be ok when they are pulling over to the right to let you by, but it’s still something to watch out for, especially on my own. The other thing I told Rolando at a stop is I wonder whether I could get away with the speeds we were doing on my own. For a gringo like me, they see me speeding down Hwy1 like we did today and I’ d be sure to get stopped, but you know me, time is everything and with today’s test ride, I should be able to make Guerrero Negro my first day which is only 375 miles even though everyone is telling me it’s a 10 hour drive. Riding like this should get me there with time to spare. 

I could tell it’ll be some nice country to ride through and we did hit a patch of what I figure I can expect with more of the road heading south, narrow roads without any shoulders, but it should make for a great ride. After a 40 mile ride down we started heading back and from our talk while having lunch I was going to follow Rolando back to his casa (house) on the other side of Ensenada and this is where that burner phone comes into play. He said he had one when he first moved here which would be perfect for me to use and all I need to do is buy some minutes and I’ll be set with a phone to use in case of emergencies in Mexico which will work out great for me. His place wasn’t far outside of Ensenada and a brand new place they were just moving into so it was a pretty nice casa. We got a charge on the phone and it was time for me to head home so I could get my bike put away and downtown for Sunday night football with the Packers playing and the World Series that I was off on my own to find my way home, but it was easy since I had already traveled this road from San Diego a week ago. 

There’s a lot more to tell, but I guess this is getting a little long that maybe I’ll save some it for tomorrows story and more of an update. Right now I am really glad to have a friend like Rolando to help me out with my lack of Spanish and since I’ll be leaving early Saturday he might ride some of it south with me to put a few miles behind me with the aggressive riding in Mexico. That and it’s great that I now have a burner phone and have minutes on it, but I’ll have to figure out the Spanish on it and how to use it. Sure enough a Spanish burner phone and I did find where I can change some of it to English that there’s still somethings such as text message and things I might need help with. Maybe since I’m the only one in school this week we can concentrate on some of the things I really need to know while in Mexico.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Rob said...

Finally getting to read some older posts. Sounds like you are having a great time riding and being next to the water!

11/13/2014 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home