Wednesday, June 14, 2023

June 14 2023 Day Twelve

 June 14th – Brenham TX – Day 12

 

And I’ve made it to my cousin Debbie and her husband Dale’s place, same name different spelling. Today was all about checking out how things have turned out for southern and west Louisiana since Katrina some 17 years ago and although I thought it was Cameron that I thought wasn’t going to rebuild from what I saw back in 2006, it was actually Gueydan that probably wouldn’t rebuild. I remember how bad the school was and sure enough the same school is still there, but all fixed up from the wreck, that and there were a lot of houses rebuilt in town. Quit the site to see and it was a great ride. Riding thru swamp country and there were 2 dead alligators on the road. I did think of stopping for one to get a picture and maybe pull a tooth, but I was well past it when I eventually thought that. It was a great ride and not that long, so I took the scenic route and I’d like to say my timing was great, but it was just the opposite because I hit rush hour in Houston and nothing like putting my boots down on an interstate because it’s stop and go traffic. Hell, I was able to ride the Louisiana byway faster.  Great having a place to stay and once again a beer waiting for me, but this time same thing, I need a shower to feel human again after a long day’s ride. The fast track might be good for getting somewhere, but it’s awful dirty.

 

Ok, you could probably tell by my babble with the last blog that I had been drinking while writing it and I probably could’ve done another night in New Orleans because it is definitely a place to party. Not sure if I mentioned it after having a crawfish boil, but my goal last night was to find a muffuletta pizza. No not the sandwich which New Orleans is known for, but the pizza I had the last time I was here. I mentioned to all the bartenders at the bars I was drinking at, and they thought I was crazy because they had never heard of a muffuletta on a pizza. Trust me, I know I had it and like I told them it turned out to be a thing at the St Paul Curling club at one time when the food staff would make muffuletta pizzas. I ended up doing more walking than anything and couldn’t find a pizza joint or even the one I had visited before that I guess I should’ve gotten a name before, so I could’ve seen if they were still around.

 

I did still have fun and spent a little later night on Bourbon Street and it’s not so much just the bars on Bourbon Street as it is all the little bars around the entire downtown New Orleans. Dejavu was a perfect place to meet people and the bartender sure made a great bloody Mary and she gave me a snit (beer chaser) to boot even though it isn’t a thing down here. Like I told the couple I was visiting, with Pete and Janet, anytime you order a bloody, you now get to ask for the beer chaser (snit) because it is a thing, and the definition of snit says so. 

 

Ok, got my first load of laundry done and I think I overpacked on socks and shirts and under packed on underwear. Even though I packed a dozen I could use more and as for the shirts and socks. I guess as long as I’m really only riding every other day right now to get places, I wouldn’t have needed as many. Things will change when I get into riding every day and as long as I have no problems with everything fitting on the bike with some extra room, I guess you can never have too many cloths now can you. Now I have a day to finish the rest of my laundry and spend some time figuring out my thousand-mile ride within 24 hour thing. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home