Sunday, May 14, 2006

Great Smoky Mountains


My first night of camping so we’ll see whether the money I spent on camp gear was worth it or not. I already know why I don’t mind spending the extra on a hotel, no setup, but the real test will be in the morning when I have to tear down and pack it all back on the bike.…the trials and tribulations of such a trip. Let’s see how I sleep tonight, maybe a few more beers and some party campers’ll help.

What an awesome ride, the smoky mts are incredible, especially the ‘Tail of the Dragon’. The pictures don’t do it justice, you have to ride it to appreciate it and I wouldn’t do it any other way than on a bike. The day started out with a trip to the Harley shop to get directions and once I left there and off the freeway, it was past the Ocoee river, remember that? that’s where the 1996 Olympic kayaking competition was – nope, I didn’t know that until Gary told me and the 1996 was from all the signs. Which reminds me, incase you’re wondering why some of the pictures are tilted – I’m shooting as I’m riding. I have a mount for the camera and I know I probably shouldn’t be pushing it, but I am slowing down – ok, I’ll watch it.

The directions from the shop were backwards, not really, but they didn’t realize I was coming in a different way. Once I got turned around and back tracked where I had just come from, it turned out to be a good thing cuz I had a great lunch at the Telicafe and felt loved – yep, the waitress was calling me ‘Hon’ all day.

The ride was twisty and turny and once I got past the slow traffic, took the lead and hit the curves hard – those who have ridden with me know what I’m talking about – what an adrenaline rush. The road and scenery were breathtaking and it especially took your breath away when into a curve realizing you were going faster than what you should be – remember, only rear brake and downshift. The Tail was a whole other story though cuz even for the twists and turnarounds we’ve seen in the Black Hills, those are nothing compared to the tail.

I had hoped to see my cousin’s daughter and stay with her family tonight in Georgia, but that didn’t workout so here I am, Enka North Carolina – not exactly sure where, but I do at least have a city and state. Look to the moon cuz I’ll be riding to the campsite under it.
More fun to come – especially Myrtle beach. Smoky mt pix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home