Tuesday, June 27, 2023

June 26 2023 Day Twenty Four

 June 26 – Seattle WA – Day 24

 

Made it to my Seattle connection, Steve and Catherine’s place and the timing was almost perfect. As I pulled into the driveway Catherine was riding in on her bike, an electric version of a bicycle and as I pulled my bike into the garage noticed my bike had just turned 49,001, I missed the perfect 49,000 by just a mile. At least my bike is parked, and I get to relax after a great sightseeing day around Mount Rainer.

 

It did start out sunny in Portland and after getting the bike packed and me showered, I had to say my ‘goodbyes’ to Stephanie and Danny. I very much appreciate them letting me stay and being able to visit for at least a night that I already look forward to a return trip and a longer stay, hopefully sometime soon. I did get the bike cover back to Tom and he wished me a safe trip and after having worked out my rout e for the day around Mount Rainer, it was time to start my 7-hour trip to Seattle. It was pretty chilly riding North out of Portland that I had thought a couple of times about putting on my long sleeve shirt and leather chaps, but I kept going and eventually it warmed up a bit after I left the freeway and headed East toward Rainer.

 

The start of my trip was to take the freeway and eventually head to Paradise which is one of the highest points at the base of Rainer that although it I about an 18-mile ride once I enter the park, it’ll still be over an hour ride to Paradise. The nice windy, curvy mountain roads when you’re climbing and elevation. I made sure I kept on top of the gas so made a stop before heading to Paradise suspecting there wouldn’t be gas there and sure enough saw a sign about the next service being 89 miles that a fill now is probably a good thing. I did still keep thinking about leathering up since it was getting a bit colder, but I persevered and kept pushing on, Once I did make it to the Mount Rainer National Park entrance cars and campers were being held because there as some kind of incident happening on the road to Paradise that the road is closed until the police arrive to take care of the situation. I did have to park and wait and soon after the police squads, probably about 5 vehicles headed up the road, a motorcycle came down screaming by us thru the in lane with the police vehicles in hot pursuit. I was close enough to the biker as he went by that later I thought about things I might’ve been able to do to dismount him from the bike, but I don’t think any would have turned out good. I did ask the ranger if the bike was the problem and without any more explanation yes, the police were trying to catch the biker Not sure what he did in or around Paradise, but he doesn’t make it look good for some of us law abiding riders.

 

It turned out to be about an hour wait and I was on my way up the road, which remember is only 18 miles, but a road that’ll take about an hour to ride, I did catchup to a line of vehicles with a camper slowing everything down that thankfully they soon pulled off that  went around on the shoulder, maybe not the thing to do, but at least got to the beginning if the pack that I could ride a bit faster before hitting the next slow group of vehicles. The road wasn’t as curvy as the switchbacks in the Black Hills of South Dakota so easier to ride and it was a nice road all the way up and there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground around Paradise. I did get some good pictures of the snow, but not a very good picture of Mount Rainer since the mountain had weather of its own so was clouded over. Oh well, at least I made it to just over 5400 feet that it was a nice place to visit with the visitor center and a nice Inn that might be worth staying at some time.

 

Ok, time to head down the way I came because my next stop will be Chinook Pass which means a bit of a back track before I hit another road to once again head East. This time I thought about gas but would’ve had to back track even further that I went for it and the first road I took was horrible. A very rough ride and slow speeds since it was once again a curvy road, but the road condition was inclusive to ride fast that I did have to slow it down quite a bit. A bit further than the kind of road that I was hoping to ride, but eventually I was back out on a decent road, Hwy 12 that not only has gas that I might as well get but was a much better road to ride. 

 

I did make it to my turn for Chinook pass and was getting a little spit from the clouds, remember the mountain has its own weather that I did have to slow it down for the curves since I don’t need to slide off the road. Once I got to my turn toward Chinook, I checked out my map and it was only a 3 ½ mile ride that I would backtrack on that as long as I’m here, I should do the pass. Again, a bit more spit, but nothing to get the raingear out for. I did make it to the pass and was able to take in some great scenery and more pictures that sorry, this trip I’m not sharing the photos that I have been able to take and miss not having my goPro along because I would’ve been able to grab some really nice videos. Oh well, maybe next time and it won’t be the fast trip I’m taking this time. 

 

On to Seattle and it’ll be less than 2 hours that it’ll be a good time for me to pull into town. It did get quite a bit warmer once I was out of the elevation of Rainer and even though I didn’t get a full picture of the mountain, at least some that will remind me of the trip. Ok, back to where I started, bike parked, time to unpack, a shower to get rid of today’s ride which wasn’t as dirty sine there was little freeway riding, and I did have a jacket on all day and time for dinner. Me and the family, Steve, Catherine, Shawn and Luca headed to the nearest neighborhood Italian restaurant that I am plenty hungry, we had a nice dinner and I have half a sandwich for lunch tomorrow and we did have some time to visit where we sat on the back patio and had a great visit. For me to get a little more of the Seattle experience, I will stay for my relaxation day which just might take me downtown Seattle. Stay tune for one extra day in Seattle,

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home