Wednesday, June 21, 2023

June 21 2023 Day Nineteen

 June 21 – Upland CA – Day 19

 

And I got an extra day to relax before getting on the bike. I was going to say I did a full day without being on the bike, but decided tonight might be a good time to get gas so I don’t have to worry about it in the morning. Mike sent me to nearest cheapest station he could think of, and wouldn’t you know it, I was able to get there and back without using my navigation. I did have to head the wrong way on a short section of a one way, but that is because where I’d otherwise make a U-turn, the fire department and police had the intersection closed because of an accident, fortunately they didn’t see my move.

 

I did get a wakeup call a little earlier than I was ready to get up today from a buddy back home that was in the neighborhood, no not this neighborhood, but my home and was wondering if I was around for him to stop and say ‘Hi’ so you can tell that is someone who didn’t realize I was taking a bike trip for a couple of months this summer. No worries and I enjoyed the talk and were able to still catch up on some well-deserved rest. 

 

Today was about getting Mike’s help to map out my trip to San Francisco and where I should head toward California 1, the coastal road that rides the coast, only to find out there is still a 30-mile section that is closed because of mudslides from the winter rain California got. I had also thought about traveling the 101, another scenic road a bit further from the coast, but that would take a bit longer to get North than taking the freeway so what we decided on is a fast track to San Jose to maybe get to and tour the Winchester Mystery house as a stop on my way to San Fran. About 5 hours away on the speed way, and once again should make a little later start to avoid the rush hour around here so plan on being on the road sometime after 9, yep that means I get to sleep in a little bit.

 

I did a little more research on the rest of my travel back East and there are some spots I would like to hit so we’ll see how those turn-out. I did find out that even though my travel to Portland was pushed out one day and I was only going to stay for a night and hit the road, I’ll likely stick around for one extra night since Shelley’s daughter Stephanie and husband Danny will be home earlier than before from their weekend trip, I might as well wait for their return so I can enjoy a night of visiting. That’ll still make me getting home the last week of June doable only for me to repack and head to the East coast to work out my timing on my way back home from the East thru Milwaukee to spend some time enjoying Harley Davidsons 120 anniversary July 13-16. 

 

Tonight, we had a great Mexican meal at the nearest Mexican restaurant and Jane joined us that each of us had a great meal. I did get to find out that Jane use to work at a Mexican restaurant when she was growing up and every day is a happy hour all day at every Mexican restaurant. She did say back in the day customers could buy the service drinks, so they had as much fun with the margaritas as the customers. Cool, every day should be happy hour no matter where you’re at. 

 

Bags are packed so I can pack the bike pretty quick in the morning and it’ll be a ride I’ll actually have to start out with a jacket on. I don’t think I’ve worn a jacket since I left Florida so it’s a nit bit chilly in CA right now. I very much appreciate Mike and Jane putting me up for an extra night and had a great time visiting with them and learning more about the family back home in Wisconsin. Tomorrow, on to colder weather in San Francisco.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home